Monday, August 11, 2014

Very Inspiring Blogger Award

I feel lucky when someone actually reads a blog post.  It's a treat when the same people come back.  It's an absolute honor when you get recognized by a reader and fellow blogger.  Thanks to Lauren at Lauren's Glass Slipper for nominating me for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award and for taking the time to read all of my posts!  If you don't follow Lauren already, be sure to head on over to her blog.  We've come to "know" each other in the blogging world over the past few months and I'm so glad we did!  



The Rules for this Award

1) Thank and link to the person who nominated you
2) List the rules and display the award
3) Share seven facts about yourself
4) Nominate 15 other amazing blogs and comment on their posts to let them know they have been nominated
Optional: display the award logo on your blog and follow the blogger who nominated you

Seven Facts About Me

1) The race that turned me into a runner was MCM 1997, but the first race I actually ever ran was the 1987 Leprechaun 5k. It was a race in my hometown on Long Island, New York. I was in the fifth grade and I ran so slow my friend next to me was practically walking. I can't remember what my time was, but I remember something took over my legs as I rounded the corner to the finish line and I sprinted to the end. I know we have it on VHS somewhere because my older brother watched it over and over with me. He was so stinkin' proud! I wish the running bug had bit me back then, but it took me another 10 years to discover my true introverted athlete.

2) I was homecoming queen or "Miss West Islip 1994". Ha! Wait, don't leave, it's not what you think! I wasn't nominated, I didn't hand out cupcakes or make signs that said "Vote for Michele, she's swell."  I think I had to put my name in for it and it was more of a talent show. I played the piano and sang "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from Phantom of the Opera and...wait for it...TEACHERS were the judges! So I was really more of a nerd and not Miss Popular or a mean girl (I swear). 

My sister made me this picture years ago because, well, that's what sisters do to each other. 
3) I was in the Navy. I went to the Naval Academy and was commissioned in 1998. I served as a Surface Warfare Officer, which means I was stationed on ships. On one of my ships, I was in the Engineering Division and was in charge of propulsion. I had 20 Machinist Mates/Boiler Technicians working for me and let me tell you, I think engineers are the hardest working people on those ships. We were the first ones on and the last ones off everyday. It was a steam ship, which means these guys worked in a hot steamy engine room at the bottom of a ship, sometimes not seeing the light of day all day. I still think of that time whenever I see a Navy ship on the water.



4) I met Jay Leno.  He has a very large head in person. A friend had tickets to his show and we got a very brief moment with him to say hi and he thanked us for our service.

5) I dislocated my shoulder during a triathlon - my FIRST triathlon!  It was in 2002 and I lived in San Diego at the time.  It was an open water swim and the swim was almost cancelled because the water was so rough that day.  We actually had the option to run a duathlon instead.  But I was stubborn and walked right into the water.  I got hit hard by a couple of waves - like slammed down to the ground and tumbling backwards under water hard.  Somehow I must have hit my arm on the ground and as I was swimming I felt like I couldn't move my left arm correctly.  As I got up out of the water, someone said - "I think you dislocated your shoulder!"  I did, and off to the emergency room I went.  I think it was Divine Intervention and God's way of protecting me.  I was NOT ready for that swim and probably would have hurt myself even more had I continued.

6) I HATE birds.  I've been to Trafalgar Square and it was a nightmare for me!

Trafalgar Square - been there, did NOT do THAT.
Photo source: Seattle's Travels

7) I gained 40 pounds during both of my pregnancies.  After my first son, I went on Weight Watchers and got back down to my normal weight.  After my second son,  Weight Watchers just didn't cut it for some reason.  I used My Fitness Pal instead and joined a friendly neighborhood weight loss contest. I didn't win, but it was just the push I needed to get back into shape, and I haven't looked back.  I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life right now, both mentally and physically.  I have a very different perspective of a healthy lifestyle than I did years back.  It's not about what I weigh, what size I am or even how fast I am.  I keep the long term picture in mind and want to be strong for my everyday life now and for years to come.

Left: August 2010, the day I went into labor with my #2.  I thought it would be a good idea to
take a bumpy ride in an armored vehicle 2 weeks before my due date.
Right: August 2014.  Puh-leasse!  I can change a 41 lb water jug by myself.  Boom. 

And now my nominees.   I'm breaking a rule here and I hope the Blogging Board of Directors (is there one?) doesn't come after me for it.  Not all of my nominees are "bloggers" as in they don't have a separate blog.  Some of these people have Facebook pages that really inspire me and I want to recognize them!  So here it goes:

3) Chaitali @ Running and Enjoying
4) Lara and Kerry @ Uptite Mamas
5) Lindsey @ One Mother of a Day
6) Angie @ A Mother's Pace
7) Tony @ G Force
9) Michelle @ Onemoremile
10) Miranda @ The Cupcake Triathlete
11) Sharon @ Run-Hike-Play
12) Haley @ Running With Diapers
13) Jenn @ Hands Free Fun
14) Nick @ Short, Round and Fast
15) Meghan @ Fitness CrEATures

So tell me one random fact about you!

Thanks again Lauren for nominating me and for always reading my posts.  It really does mean a lot to me!

Until next time,
Michele


14 comments:

  1. Great post Michele! Love all your facts and learning more about you. I had no idea you actually went to the Naval Academy - that is incredible!! Hearing more about your time on the aircraft carriers is really cool and while I've always had a respect for those who worked on them (my dad did for a long time), I now have an even deeper respect since many don't' even see the light of day too often. Thank you so much for your service to our country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for nominating me :) I cherish the time I was in the military. There were definitely some tough times, but I don't regret a second of it. It was a privilege and honor. Hope that's not too cheesy, but it's the truth!

      Delete
  2. I am ever more impressed to hear that you dislocated your shoulder yet you continue to be a tri-athlete. You are amazing in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks Meranda - I shake my head at myself sometimes. My mom still gives me a hard time about that race and wonders why I keep doing them :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the nomination, Michele! I love to read your blog, although I'm not the best at commenting...it's hard to get to a computer sometimes!
    I gained 40 pounds during all of my pregnancies too! I completely agree that being healthy is a lifestyle and it takes more than just a number on a scale.
    You have had such an interesting life! Someday I hope we meet in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nomination Michele!!
    I, too, am deathly afraid of birds! There wasn't any traumatic event or anything, I just don't like how they can just dive boom you and in my head I am always afraid that they will peak my eyes out or something crazy like that. Like I said, it is all in my head, but I just don't like those things :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the nomination :) I can't believe you returned to triathalons after dislocating your shoulder in the first one, that is brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave or just selective memory?! Lol, my mom gives me a hard time about every race even now, asking "How is your shoulder?" - 12 years later!!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the nomination Michele! Lots of interesting facts about you. Can't believe you dislocated your shoulder in your first triathlon! You were so brave to go into that water! Pretty awesome! I also gained 35-40lbs for both my pregnancies and feel like I am in the best shape now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Sharon, looking forward to your post!

      Delete
  7. I love your comment about Jay Leno having a big head.. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't know you were in the Navy-cool! Thanks so much for the nomination. It is really nice to know that people do read what you write. It's been really great getting to know you these past few months and seeing all of your cool yoga poses too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I loved learning more about you! Glad you haven't dislocated your shoulder again. Great job winning Queen, your performance must have been great!

    ReplyDelete