Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Ready to Breathe Fire

It's Wednesday!  Time for the WorkOut Wednesday linkup (#wowlinkup) with Femme Fitale Fit ClubThe Frugal ExerciserEat Hard Work Hard,  Comeback Momma and Mean, Green, Clean Eating Teen!  Each week a group of bloggers link up at the hosts' sites to bring you all kinds of posts about fitness.  Check it out!

 I have been on a "numbers hiatus" for some time now. I haven't weighed myself, tried to keep a certain pace on my runs or kept track of my strength training. Don't get me wrong, I'm still getting some great workouts in, but I haven't been focused on any specific result. I think it has been good for me. But yesterday, I started to get the itch  again.



Yesterday I decided to do 5x5 deadlifts. I have been doing deadlifts as part of Crossfit workouts, but since the workouts require high reps, I use a weight I know I can handle. It has been awhile since I tested my limit. I totally guessed how much weight to use for my first set and went with 85. My sets went like this:

Set 1 and 2: 85 lb
Set 3: 105 lb
Set 4 and 5: 115 lb

I felt really good, decided to keep going and did 2x3 at 135. That's the most I have ever done with that weight. At this point the CrossFit instructor came over to give me some tips and was surprised that was the most I have lifted. He said that weight is too easy for me. 

"Do you keep track of how much you lift?" 
"No." I sheepishly replied. 

He told me when I walk up to a bar, I should have a plan, know what I lifted the last time so I can have the confidence I need to progress. Up until now I've been waffling. Sometimes I fear I will get too wrapped up in numbers. But now I feel like I'm doing myself a disservice if I don't track my progress. If I'm going to do CrossFit, I should DO it and get the full benefits. 

After our little conversation he coached me through 3 sets (2, 2, 3) of 145 lb. I was tired at this point, but I did it. I think if I had started out with a specific plan, I could have gone higher. It's my mind holding me back, I know it is. The answer to that is to track. Let me see it on paper so I can stroll up to the bar and know exactly what I  capable of. I downloaded the WOD app to help me with this. It has preloaded workouts including the CrossFit benchmark workouts. You can also record personal bests for various exercises. It's set up in a way that you can easily compare your results each time. 


So that's my focus for September. Track my strength workouts. Specifically, I'm going to PR my deadlift again. After what feels like a long time, I'm feeling a spark again and I'm ready to breathe fire. 

It's time to light the match.

Do you record your workouts?
What variables do you track?
What do you use to track?

Don't forget to check out my fellow awesome #wowlinkup bloggers!

Until next time,
Michele 

19 comments:

  1. Great idea! I like how your coach put it too. Definitely makes sense to track things so you can get the full benefits and keep getting stronger!

    Great job on dead lifting 145 lbs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren. I'm excited to have something to work towards. It makes a difference working out with an actual instructor and class.

      Delete
  2. Awesome job lifting 145 lbs! I've only done specific programs so I don't track variables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassandra! Having a specific program to follow is good too - it's consistent and I think it would be easy to see progression. I haven't been taking a very methodical lately :/

      Delete
  3. You are going to have some nice glutes pretty soon lifting that heavy weight. I only do 30 to 35 pound dumbbell deadlifts at this point. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, let's hope so! :) nice glutes would be a plus, I just want to know I am getting stronger!

      Delete
  4. Love the quote and the advice. You are already super strong, you're going to be superwoman by the end of September! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's some nice lifting my friend. I love deadlifts but do lots of reps with lower weights. Your workouts are intense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah, I just follow Crossfit workouts as best I can. I do a lot of modifying, don't know when I will really be able to hang with the rest of them!

      Delete
  6. Great job on the deads! I am such a pansy when it comes to those! That's next for upping my weight something serious :) I always chicken out because of my scoliosis. I know I love my fitnessbuddy app (I posted about it two weeks ago) and you can actually see a chart of your progress and export the data if you're a nerd like me ;) I can completely see why you don't track though. Sometimes I have to remind myself to get the numbers out of my head, just like other things-- bf% for instance...same way. It is good to have a plan though. Good post! #wowlinkup

    (Oh PS-- I completely forgot about the yoga thing. I should do yoga tonight since I'm resting!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I did my share of obsessing about body fat. Done with that. Someone told me about that app. Going with a WOD app for now, will see how that works for me.

      Delete
  7. I love data. I love to record my weights and my pace in running but sometimes, just sometimes, you need that break. I'm still tracking my running pace but not to PR or improve and I stopped using a scale and just go by how my clothes feel. It relieves a bit of pressure when things get too wrapped up in the number sfor me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I agree. A break is good. Even just shifting focus to numbers in a different area is good. It can easily get overwhelming.

      Delete
  8. Woo, nice job!! I love tracking my workouts, it's like it doesn't happen unless it's logged somewhere! Using a blog is helpful for that since you have everything in one place. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janelle you are so right. I haven't done weekly training recaps but I can see now why people do it. I should consider that, it would help with accountability. But I can barely keep up with my 2 link ups a week!

      Delete
  9. I record my runs here and there, but like you sometimes know I need to NOT record them so I don't obsess! I'm not as good about recording strength sessions, but that app looks awesome. Thanks for sharing! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one in danger of becoming obsessed ;)

      Delete
  10. Great job with the deadliest! I don't do a whole lot of lifting myself - typically my weight training is incorporated into my cross training workouts (at the moment I am doing Focus T25 with Shaun T). #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete