Friday, August 22, 2014

Athleta Aspire Ankle Pant Review



Time for the Friday Five with Eat Pray Run, DCYou Signed Up for What?!, and Mar on the Run!   Each week, a large group of fantastic bloggers link up to bring you 5 things about fitness and health.  Visit the hosts' sites to check out the ever growing list of fitness enthusiasts!   

This week's theme is "5 Things I Love About. . ."  (We did this a few months ago and I wrote about 5 Things I love About My Running Route). I often look at pictures on my phone for inspiration, and I was scrolling through I noticed I'm wearing the same pants in a lot of pictures:  Athleta's Aspire Ankle Pant.  It's part of their City Pant collection and right before Spring Break, I splurged on this pair for $69.  I really wanted a pair of pants that were comfortable, stylish and would travel well (easy to care for).  That's exactly what I got.   I love these pants and wear them all the time. Here's why:

Shown here in Flint Grey.  I ordered my normal Athleta size. 

1) The material. It's called "recycled featherweight stretch" and is a polyester/spandex blend. It's silky, has some give, and works in every type of weather. I wore them during Spring Break in Southern California, which can actually be chilly by the beach. And I'm wearing them now in +90 degree weather. They breathe really well and don't wrinkle too badly. It holds up it's shape in the wash and dries really fast. 

My pants on vacation in California.  Can you tell me which Showtime character this house belonged to?

2) The cut.  I wasn't sure about the whole shape at first:  small at the waist, bigger at the hips and then tapered at the ankle.  I was afraid they would look like MC Hammer Pants!  But they don't look too baggy and that extra room really allows you to move around.   I also don't feel like I have to suck my tummy in, lol!

3) The details.  It has an elastic waist, but the band is thick enough so you don't get the "busted biscuit can" look.  Also, I like how the zippers add both detail and functionality.  You can actually use these pockets;  they are big enough for my iPhone 5, ID, money, and keys.  But because of the slant and where they are placed, it doesn't add too much bulk.  There are also loop drawstrings at the hems so you can infinitely adjust the pant.  However, I have large calves and the pants just can't go very high on me.  So they end up being ankle pants and not really capris.



4) Comfort meets style.  I can say this about every Athleta piece I own, but I really do wear these pants all the time.  I wear them on a run, at the grocery store, or on a run TO the grocery store.  I don't feel like I'm wearing my stinky workout clothes, although I might smell differently :)  I can also be wearing these out and about and drop into a yoga pose.  And that's just plain fun.

5) Versatility.  I wear these with sneakers and I wear these with flats.  I wear them to the gym, during yoga,  going a run, on a plane, and picking the kids up from school.   If I still actually went out and partied, I'd pair them with cute heels.  But I think a pair of wedge high tops in the fall is as crazy as I will get.  



I think subconsciously I wrote this post because I am trying to justify buying another pair in black!  I also have my eye on 2 other pants - tell me what you think!
1) City Jogger Pant - I'm not sure about the drawstring.

I am not claiming to be a fashion expert of any kind.  I'm just a mom who wants to be comfortable without having to feel sloppy.  I wish the term "yoga pants" didn't have such a bad name.  It's the term people use when describing a woman who doesn't care about the way she looks.  But I say we can be comfortable, put together, and #stopdropandyoga thanks to Athleta!


What's the one piece of clothing you always find yourself wearing?
Which pant should I get next?

Hope you all have a good weekend and don't forget to check out others in the linkup!
Until next time,
Michele  



26 comments:

  1. I really like them! They're not as tight fitting as most running tights, and I like that. They're more forgiving that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is enough give without being sloppy looking!

      Delete
  2. Haha I've never heard of the term busted biscuit funny :) I am a leggings person, so I would vote for #2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those pants!!! They look super cute on your frame too! I tend to wear my Under Armor running crops a lot these days, being barefoot and pregnant, and I don't even care if anyone makes fun of me, because they're so comfortable. And essentially, that's what makes a piece of clothing valuable to me. So Rock On Sister!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks Haley! I agree. If I feel comfortable in something, I will wear it over and over and that makes it worth it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing. They must be good when you're willing to use them for a Friday Five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, not my most earth shattering piece, but works for me!

      Delete
  5. I saw these in the new catalog and now you have me so tempted to buy them! They look like the perfect pants to wear to and from the gym as well as post run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they are. A friend of mine went to Athleta after reading this post and ended up getting the Metro pants. Try them on - if you love them it's worth the price.

      Delete
  6. Hrm... Tough choice. The City Jogger Pant seems similar to the Aspire, but I think they may be more versatile than the Metro. Having said that, the Jogger looks more comfortable and you can get it in two different greys. I pick City Jogger! Now that there's an Athleta store "near" me I may just go try those on and put it on a Christmas Wish List.

    My current favorite article of clothing is a Title Nine SWB (Skirt With Benefits, ie. skort). Most comfortable thing I own.

    http://www.titlenine.com/product/150971.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=2&refType=&from=fn#.U_dJDvk7tJw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad you cleared things up for me, and enjoy your purchase :-D

      Delete
  7. Those definitely have a different type of shape on the 'hanger' but they look like they fit to the body quite nicely! Look super comfy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I took them out of the bag, I thought, what did I buy?! But they're great!

      Delete
  8. I love the sinch at the bottom of the leg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. those are cute! I love Athleta - my favorite pair of capri pants right now are from there. They were expensive but I think so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mar! Athleta is my absolute favorite store. My dream is for them to say "hey you totally normal looking person with a tiny blog, want to model for us and get free clothes?" LOL!

      Delete
  10. I love Athleta clothes too but haven't tried that style of pant. I pretty much live in my Lululemon yoga pants all winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, I am so tempted to try Lululemon. I can only handle one money suck though!

      Delete
  11. I probably wouldn't have picked this pair up at the store, but you may just have convinced me to now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend went yesterday after reading this post and ended up with the Metro pant. Once you walk in, you will walk out with something in hand :)

      Delete
  12. I've never tried anything from Athleta! They look cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you HAVE to try the clothes! Such great quality!

      Delete
  13. I loved this review, because when I saw those pants, I thought MC Hammer too! But they look really cute on you. I love Athleta, and have a lot of clothes from there--I wear a lot of their dresses to work as well.

    ~Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Nike tops. The material is soft, they fit great, comfortable... I have several.

    ReplyDelete